Message Area
lblHidCurrentSponsorAdIndex =

  < Back to Table Of Contents  < Back to Topic: Organizations and Churches, History & Now

article number 55
article date 09-21-2011
copyright 2011 by Author else SaltOfAmerica
History of the Camargo Illinois United Methodist Church
by Pam Sigler

Written for the 1985 Villa Grove Illinois & Surrounding Areas, Pictorial History.

The Camargo United Methodist Church is located in a town older than Chicago, and known throughout Illinois as the “Cradle of Methodism” in Douglas County.

One of the earliest white settlers were Uncle Jack and Aunt “Pop” Richman. Aunt Pop was a Methodist at the time she came to the locality about 1829.

The first baptism recorded in Douglas County was that of Miss Martha Hammett, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John Hammett, pioneer settlers and later wife of Hiram Buck, well known in the history of early Methodism in Illinois.

The first church was a frame building built in 1855 in the northwest corner of Camargo, with Reverend Salisbury as the minister. This building was used until 1875 and later called the “Old Town Hall.”

“Old Brick Church”

In 1875, the “Old Brick Church” was erected in the east part of town where the present church stands. This church was considered the best house of worship in the county at the time of its erection. This brick church was torn down to build a larger and more modern church.

In August, 1915, the building of our “New Church” was started. It was completed and dedicated April 30, 1919, by Dr. Joseph William Davidson during the time Reverend Guy Park was pastor. The cost of the new, more modern church was $14,000. In memory of the old church we have kept the chair Reverend Salisbury sat in. On the north wall of our present church hangs the old clock, and in the belfry we still have the old bell.

“New Church” completed and dedicated April 30, 1919

The first wedding in the new church was that of Miss Amanda Feeler and Charles Dyke.

The members have done a lot of remodeling in the past five years (article written for 1985 pictorial). They’ve painted the sanctuary, the basement, new front door, new bathroom, carpeted entryway inside and out. A ramp been built for those that are handicapped and pews have been padded. A new sign board set in brick welcomes you.

Church as it appears in 2011.
< Back to Top of Page